“The Transfiguration Monastery”
Preobrajenski Monastery is an Eastern Orthodox monastery located in the Dervent gorge of the River Yantra. It is thought that the monastery was founded in the 11th century AD. The cross-shaped church features icons and frescoes which were painted by Sahari Zograf who worked in the monastery between 1849 and 1851. Among the more notable murals are those of the Last Judgment and the Wheel of Life.
In addition, the main church was richly decorated on the outside and a wood-carved and gold-plated Icon display can also be seen. Today the monastery is operating and monks and priests can be seen working. They produce a rakia with honey from their on-site bees. The views from this monastery are breath-taking.