Shipka Memorial church is well-worth a visit. It is surprisingly beautiful and has opulent golden domes which glint in the sunshine.
The Church was built at the beginning of the 20th Century. It was built to commemorate Russian troops that died for the liberation of Bulgaria in the Russo-Turkish War, 1877-78.
The church’s bell tower is 53 m high. Its bells, the heaviest of which weighs 12 tons, were cast from the cartridges that were collected after the battles. In the temple itself, the names of the Russian regiments and Bulgarian volunteers are inscribed on 34 marble plates. The remains of the perished are laid in 17 stone sarcophagi in the church’s crypt.
Shipka Memorial Church is a great place to visit after spending the morning at Etar Ethnographic Museum. It is close to Buzludzha too.
Please leave a comment on this post …